Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Back In Africa!

Wow, can't believe we are back in Africa! Our flights were pretty uneventful getting here. Chicago to Amsterdam was on overnight flight. It was a full flight and noisy, so not much sleep was had. We had a four hour layover in Amsterdam, so we decided to grab a quick breakfast sandwich. I saw a sign for "comfort seating" and thought maybe we should go check in out. There was an area full of these reclining chairs and Rachelle and I quickly found the last two available and decided to take a rest. Three hours later I woke and looked at my watch which did not have the local time, so I thought, hmmmm.....I better go see what time it is here. It was 10:30 and our plane was leaving at 11:00. I quickly woke up Rachelle and we got to our gate. As we went through final security, the gentleman said, "you are the last ones today." And we were the last people to get on the plane. Funny thing is, I kept hearing while I was laying there in those reclining chairs the lady on the intercom saying, "passenger so-and-so, your flight is about to leave. If you do not check in immediately, your luggage will be removed from the plane." I think a few more minutes of us in those chairs the next announcement would have been for us! How embarrassing. I told Rachelle they should have warning signs that once you sit in these chairs you will immediately fall asleep. There were probably about 50 chairs and in every one of them there was someone totally cashed out! :)


We has a good flight to Uganda though and then were greeted with smiles and hugs by our dear friend and driver Godfrey. How happy we were to see him! We made the hour drive to Gaba and got into our rooms for a good nights sleep.

This morning the girls went to school, so we surprised them at school at lunch time to pick them up. Fiona came and gave me a big hug, but eye contact and smiles took a while. Within a couple of hours she was acting more like herself and was singing and smiling. Although we knew we were coming back, I am sure for a five year old it is hard to understand and three months had to seem like forever wondering if we would indeed be back. She spent the afternoon coloring and playing with a doll I brought her...whose hair by the way has already been braided like an African woman's hair...too cute! At the end of this day, she is laying beside me sleeping and I am so happy to be back with her. In less than two days we will be in court and are praying to hear the judge say good things for us!

Tomorrow Fiona and Rachel will take a field trip to the Pepsi bottling company and to a place that makes cookies. We got here just in time, as we were able to pay for them to go and enjoy this fun day.

Just as I sit here writing this blog, the power went out. We are definitely back in Africa! The sights and smells are very familiar this time, but still amazing to take it all in again. It is rainy season here, so the temps are a bit more mild. I actually used a blanket last night!

We were able to spend time with Livingstone today and he was a huge help in getting our modem and phone working for us again. We were also able to see Scovia and many of the kids at the house.

I am about to call it a day as we have to be up very early so I will say goodnight. I thank you for all the prayers coming our way. I can certainly feel them. It is different being here without Dave - I miss you! Hugs and kisses Tyler!

Lots of love to you all.

Sara

2 comments:

  1. Glad you arrived safely. Enjoy your time with Fiona. We will be thinking of you Friday, and throughout your stay. Thanks for keeping us updated!

    Melanie and Jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you made it safely! Paige was playing with her dolls today and told them about her friend Fiona in Africa who will be home soon...it was so sweet. Will keep the prayers coming and hope that you will have an easy (and bug/bat/spider) free trip!

    ReplyDelete