Friday, May 28, 2010

Day 15

Dear Family and Friends,

Whew, what a day. We started with a quick breakfast here at the house and then headed out to Kampala for the day. Our driver Godfrey was having car problems, so we took matatu's into town...these are the bus/taxi like vehicles. I've got to say that was an interesting experience. They stop often and drop people off and pick people up, so there is a lot of moving around in the vehicle at every stop. We first went to a pastry shop and sat and had some coffee and pastries. The Grahams are trying to get me hooked on lattes, and I must say I am enjoying them. :)

Then, it was off to the craft show. Rachelle and I got some much needed retail therapy while we were there. Livingstone joined us for the day and he really helped us in bargaining to get some good prices. It is such a huge relief to have a native person with you when you are traveling about. The culture is so different here. White people here are called munzungu's...the terms actually means rich white person. The kids call us that as we walk around Gaba and they mean it is a very nice way, always with big smiles. From adults however, I am not sure it is always said with a kind heart. Livingstone is great company for us all too and we enjoy him very much. He is a really good Christian man who is now part of our family!

We found some really great things at the craft show and if we are here next Friday I think we may have to go back to visit again. It is all African handmade arts and crafts and everything was really beautiful, it was hard to decide what to get!

Then we went to the local mall. There are two right next to each other and Livingstone tells us they are the only malls in Uganda and that people from all over the place come to shop there. We had some lunch and then hit a bookstore. We hired a taxi to bring us home, which was a much quicker route. I sat in front for the first time and wow was that an experience. I have never seen driving like this in my whole life. It is insane! There are people everyone, bikes, motorcycles, matatus, cars...all driving on the wrong side of the road and it all looks like one big mess. I prefer sitting in the back and think I will try to from now on.

One of the saddest things I have seen here happened today. While we were walking to the mall, there was a one year old I would guess, that was just sitting on the sidewalk all by herself. Livingston said parents will just drop there kids places like that and think maybe someone will pick it up during the day. She just sat there so sad. Rachelle gave her some water to drink. There were several kids along the road begging and would go out in the traffic when cars were stopped. One little boy about two years old was attempting to come over to our car in traffic. He was waving and I waved back, and he was going to cross into traffic to come to our car. Luckily, he did not cross the road. What a dangerous life these kids are living. And, I was just so saddened to think of the desperation that results in these kinds of situations.

I forgot to post an adventure we had the other day. A couple of days ago Livingstone took us on a walk to Munyonyo, which is a upscale side of this area. He took us to the Speke Resort to look at the lake. It was really beautiful. What a walk though. It took us about an hour and a half to get there. We opted for a matatu for part of the way back. I got my first African sunburn...we all got a little toasted that day. My legs are also getting covered in mosquito bites. It seems they prefer me to the others here. I am going to be careful not to miss a dose of my malaria medicine! :)

I wish I could adequately describe the sights I am seeing here. Just the drive to Kampala and back is like nothing I have ever seen. I thought I had an image of what Africa would look like, but I was way off. And, I know there is much worse than what I am seeing.

Right now I am homesick and missing family, friends and home. Some days are better and others I feel it more. The love we have for these girls keeps us moving forward though. My friend Becky told me before I left it may seem like a long time I am gone, but in the end, it was just be a flash of time in my life. So, we will move forward and enjoy these girls and the time we have here. And, enjoy the company of the wonderful people that God has put in our lives here. And, we are very blessed to be here with our good friends to share in this adventure.

Tomorrow we are going to mama Scovia's tailor shop. We are going to ask her to make us some African clothes to bring home. It will probably be a long wait for Monday, so this is help break up the time.

Scovia was able to find a picture of Rachel and Dorcus mom, and Fiona's step mom. It is the only one in existence and a real treasure for these girls to have. It's been a couple of years since she died, but both girls looked at it and immediately said, mama. These girls have been through so much in their young lives. Scovia has taken such good care of these girls and has raised them so well. They are so polite and obedient. We are thinking the rest of our kids could use a week with mama Scovia! :)

Our newest member of the family, Lucky, our kitty is doing good. Rachael has really taken to her. The reactions to the Lule family are funny though -cats are seen as something very icky here. They have a hard time imagining that cats and dogs are part of most American families!

Our love to you all! Miss you dearly and can't wait to see you all soon! Your prayers are keeping us going here, so please keep them coming for this next week.

Love,

Sara and Dave

Happy last day of school Tyler! You're officially a junior high kid! Can't wait to talk/see you tonight! Love you! XOXOXO

2 comments:

  1. So glad you have some "fun" things to do to help the time pass. Retail therapy always helps! :)
    I can only imagine the things that you are seeing and the heart God is giving you both for the hurting and the lost.
    Praying and believing what God has planned for all of you!!
    Much love!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are really living an adventure these days! So glad you got to have some fun shopping. We are thinking of you often - praying for a court date to be set on Monday! Love you!

    ReplyDelete